Excerpt from the Green Party National Platform, originally adopted at the Denver Green Party National Convention in 2000:
The link to the full platform is https://www.gp.org/platform.
The GREEN PLATFORM is an evolving document, a living work-in-progress that expresses our commitment to creating meaningful and enduring change in the political process. Our Party’s first priority is to value-based politics, in contrast to a system extolling exploitation, consumption, and non-sustainable competition.
We believe in an alternative, independent politics and active, responsible government.
We believe in empowering citizens and communities.
We offer hope and a call to action.
In this platform we make our case to change the way our government operates – to change the quality of our everyday lives – to build a vision that brings new and lasting opportunities.
As the new century dawns, we look back with somber reflection at how we have been as a people and as a nation. Realizing our actions will be judged by future generations, we ask how with foresight and wisdom, we can renew the best of our past, calling forth a spirit of change and participation that speaks for a free and democratic society.
We submit a bold vision of our future, a PLATFORM on which we stand:
- An ethic of KEY VALUES leading to a POLITICS OF ACTION.
- A hopeful, challenging plan for A PROSPERING, SUSTAINABLE ECONOMY.
- A call to CREATE and CONSERVE a rich, DIVERSE environment characterized by a sense of COMMUNITY.
What we are proposing is a vision of our common good that goes beyond special interests and the business of politics.
What we are proposing is an INDEPENDENT POLITICS, a democratic vision that empowers and reaches beyond background and political loyalty to bring together our combined strengths as a people.
We, the GREEN PARTY, see our political and economic progress, and our individual lives, within the context of an evolving, challenging world.
As in nature, where adaptation and diversity provide key strategies of survival, a successful political strategy is one that is diverse, adaptable to changing needs, and strong and resilient in its core values:
* DEMOCRACY, practiced most effectively at the grassroots level and in local communities.
* SOCIAL JUSTICE and EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, emphasizing personal and social responsibility, accountability, and non-violence.
* ENVIRONMENTAL and ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY, balancing the interests of market- and value-driven business, of the community and land, of living and future generations.
Use the Navigator link to get back to the main menus of the swohgp web page.